New – TRU Math: Teaching for Robust Understanding of Mathematics is a suite of tools for professional develompent and research - the alpha versions of these documents are available here…
More International Awards for Team: Hugh Burkhardt and Malcolm Swan, leaders of the Shell Centre team, have been chosen by the International Commission on Mathematical instruction (ICMI) as the first recipients of the Emma Castelnuovo Medal for Excellence in the Practice of Mathematics Education. This complements the award by ICMI to Alan Schoenfeld of the 2011 Felix Klein Medal for Lifetime Achievement in research. Read more…
The Mathematics Assessment Project
The project is working to design and develop well-engineered assessment tools to support US schools in implementing the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.
Tools for formative and summative assessment that make knowledge and reasoning visible, and help teachers to guide students in how to improve, and monitor their progress. These tools comprise:
- Classroom Challenges: lessons for formative assessment, some focused on developing math concepts, others on non-routine problem solving. A Brief Guide for teachers and administrators (PDF) is now available, and is recommended for anybody using the MAP Classroom Challenges for the first time.
- Professional Development Modules: to help teachers with the new pedagogical challenges that formative assessment presents.
- Summative Assessment Task Collection: to illustrate the range of performance goals required by CCSSM.
- Prototype Summative Tests: designed to help teachers and students monitor their progress, these tests provide a model for examinations that may replace or complement current US tests.
The project is a collaboration between the Shell Center team at the University of Nottingham and the University of California, Berkeley.
This development would not have been possible without the support of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
What's on this site?
“Beta” versions of the currently released Classroom Challenges lessons for High School and Middle School, cross-referenced to the CCSSM content and practice standards. These are ready to download, print and use.
Prototype Summative Assessments , for monitoring progress at grades 7-10. These are presented in two forms:
- a Task Collection with each task cross-referenced to the CCSSM
- a set of Prototype Test Forms showing how the tasks might be assembled into balanced assessments
Prototype Professional Develoment Modules . These five modules encourage groups of teachers to explore the practical and pedagogical concepts behind the MAP materials, such as formative assessment, collaborative learning and the use of unstructured problems.
Who can use the MAP materials?
All the MAP materials will, eventually, be available for download from this site. Unless stated otherwise, they will be free for non-commercial use. Where indicated, materials have been released under the Creative Commons Attribution, Non-commercial, No Derivatives License 3.0 and we are in the process of updating our older materials to show this. Please send any enquiries about commercial use or derived works to firstname.lastname@example.org.